Do this because
Take an underground train ride on the unique Mail Rail
See the world's only sheets of Penny Black stamps
Sort the mail on a rocking mini train carriage
See a Victorian miniature rail car used by people and post!
Discover iconic posters from a 1930s design revolution
What to expect
There’s nothing ordinary about the story of the post! From five-wheeled cycles and the first-ever stamps to a hidden underground train ride. Explore this surprising and entertaining experience for all ages. Your ticket includes both an entrance ticket to the museum and a fun ride on the Mail Rail.
The Postal Museum tells the story of postal communication and its impact on a global society. At the museum, five centuries of extraordinary communications history are brought to life, as seen through the eyes of the iconic postal service. You can admire the only sheets of Penny Black stamps in the world and posters from a design revolution in the 1930s. Join the many activities such as sorting mail on a rocking mini-train carriage.
You will enjoy your visit to the museum and its family-friendly interactive exhibitions. To make the day complete you will experience an immersive ride on Mail Rail, London’s secret Post Office underground railway.
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
Visitor numbers are limited to reduce crowds
The experience complies with government regulations
Social distancing is enforced
Areas frequented by visitors are regularly disinfected
Hand sanitizers are provided for staff and visitors
All gear/equipment is sanitized between use
Visitors are required to bring and wear masks
Guides and all other staff are required to wear masks
Mail Rail ride
Entrance to the Postal Museum
Entrance to temporary exhibition Wish You Were Here
What's not included
Entrance to other exhibitions
Audio guide device and headphones
15-20 Phoenix Place, WC1X 0DA, London
The nearest tube stations to the museum are Farringdon, Russell Square, King’s Cross and Chancery Lane. Bus routes 17, 19, 38, 45, 46, 55, 63, 341 stop near The Postal Museum
The Postal Museum
Important to know
- Start your visit at the Mail Rail entrance. Please ensure you arrive at least 15 minutes before the end of the Mail Rail timeslot shown on your ticket. Latecomers may not be admitted.
- You must use your ticket for the Postal Museum on the same day of the Mail Rail ride
- Please note that your ticket provides a time slot for the Mail Rail departure, not a specific departure time
- Bring your ticket with you (on mobile or printed). Failure to present a valid ticket will result in not being admitted.
- On arrival to the museum you can also check-in using the NHS Test & Trace QR code.
- If you have purchased the downloadable Audio Guide show your ticket at the ticket desk when you visit to collect your Audio Guide access code. Please note you require your own device to use the audio guide, and headphones are advisable. Download the CloudGuide app on App Store or Play Store or by visiting cloudguide.me/the-postal-museum before you visit.
- The audio guide is available in English, French, Spanish, Italian, and German.