Do this because
Soak up the history at the beautiful ruins of Melrose Abbey
Step onto the big screen as you explore the magic of Alnwick Castle
Take in the sea views from the stunning seaside town of North Berwick
What to expect
Leave the capital behind and head south towards the border between Scotland and England to discover the magic of this area. Soak up the history at Melrose Abbey, step into the magical world of Harry Potter as you explore Alnwick Castle and breathe in the sea air at North Berwick.
You'll kick off your day driving south through the scenic Scottish countryside, checking out some of the country's most picturesque towns and villages. Your first stop of the day will be Melrose Abbey which is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful ruins in Europe. You'll have time to explore, dive into the history and search for the heart of Robert the Bruce which is believed to be buried here.
As you continue to travel south, you'll cross the border into England to reach the star of this tour, Alnwick Castle. You'll feel like you've stepped into the world of Harry Potter or Downton Abbey as you discover this incredible castle and the stunning gardens that surround it. Wander around the medieval walls and be amazed by the large lavish staterooms. You can even take part in a broomstick training session on the very spot where Harry Potter had his first flying lesson. No matter what age you are, you'll feel the magic! For those who want to keep both feet on the ground, there are various museums and exhibitions to discover inside the castle, ranging from a Downton Abbey exhibition featuring photography, constumes and props from the show. It's a must-see for fans!
If you have some spare time, you can venture into the bustling, medieval market town of Alnwick and stroll through the cobbled streets, admiring the electric array of shops, pubs and cafes. If you're a bookworm, be sure to swing by the UK's largest second-hand bookshop!
Then it's time to hit the road north again and take in the breathtaking East Coast of Northumberland as you head back to Scotland and the final stop of the day, North Berwick. With its picturesque red sandstone harbour, views to the islands and delicious fish and chips, there's no shortage of things to do! You can take a quick visit to the Scottish Seabird Centre to learn all about the wildlife or even visit the Firth of Forth Lobster Hatchery to hear how they are helping to strengthen the local marine eco system.
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
Visitor numbers are limited to reduce crowds
The experience complies with government regulations
Social distancing is enforced
Areas frequented by visitors are regularly disinfected
Hand sanitizers are provided for staff and visitors
All gear/equipment is sanitized between use
Transport in a mini-coach with air-conditioning
What's not included
Entrance fees to Melrose Abbey, Alnwick Castle, Scottish Seabird Centre and Firth of Forth Lobster Hatchery
1 Parliament Square Royal Mile/High Street, Edinburgh EH1 1RE
Please meet your tour in front of Caffè Nero in Parliament Square.
Highland Experience Tours
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 3 days before the activity begins., Receive a 50% refund if you cancel up to 2 days before the activity begins.
Important to know
- Please indicate if you are travelling with another booking at checkout so that the tour provider can ensure that you are in the same vehicle if there is more than one bus on a tour
- No matter when you visit, the weather in Scotland can be changeable. Please bring suitable clothing for all conditions, including a waterproof jacket, sunglasses and plenty of layers. Ensure you bring shoes suitable for short walks on rough or uneven terrain
- You don't need to bring your own meals as there will be stops throughout the day where you can purchase food, however you are more than welcome to bring along snacks or a packed lunch
- Although most attractions and eating establishments visited accept card payments, it's recommended that you bring some cash with you
- Please limit your luggage to 1 small/medium piece per person (no more than 15kg), and 1 small handbag or rucksack
- This tour does not accept children under the age of 3
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of this tour
- Entrance to Melrose Abbey is £3.00 for adults and £1.80 for children. Entrance to Alnwick Castle is £18.50 for adults and £9.75 for children. Entrance to Scottish Seabird Centre is £11.95 for adults and £7.95 for children and entrance to the Firth of Forth Lobster Hatchery is free