Do this because
Visit a UNESCO World Heritage site in the heart of the fortified city
Explore an outstanding example of a medieval fortified town
See the massive defenses encircling the castle and the Gothic cathedral
What to expect
Discover the château of the Counts of Carcassonne and the ramparts, a UNESCO World Heritage site located at the heart of the fortified city.
Carcassone was the seat of power of the Counts of Carcassonne, and then of the famous Trencavel family in the 12th century. Following the Albigensian Crusade, when the Royal forces seized Carcassonne, accusing it of complicity with the Cathars, it became a Royal fortress governed by a seneschal.
Since the pre-Roman period, a fortified settlement has existed on the hill where Carcassonne now stands. In the course of your visit you'll get to explore this outstanding example of a medieval fortified town: see its massive defenses encircling the castle and the surrounding buildings as you stroll the streets and take in the beauty of the fine Gothic cathedral.
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
Visitor numbers are limited to reduce crowds
The experience complies with government regulations
Social distancing is enforced
Areas frequented by visitors are regularly disinfected
Hand sanitizers are provided for staff and visitors
All gear/equipment is sanitized between use
Visitors are required to bring and wear masks
Guides and all other staff are required to wear masks
Visitors over 18 must show their ID and proof of one of the following: a full vaccination or first vaccination (this requirement varies depending on the country) received at least 15 days prior, recovery from a COVID-19 infection in the past 6 months, or a negative result from a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 48 hours before the experience starts. This may also apply to those aged 12 and above
What's not included
1 Rue de la Porte d'Aude, 11000 Carcassonne, France
Show your voucher at the ticket office.
- Open every day
- October to March: from 9.30 am to 4.45 pm (last admission 3.45pm)
- April to September: from 10.00 am to 6.30 pm (last admission 5.45pm)
- Closed on 1st January, 1st May and 25th December
Centre des Monuments Nationaux
Important to know
- During this period of reopening of the monuments, the Center des Monuments Nationaux asks its visitors to define their day and time of visit in advance. All information will be given to you on your Musement Voucher.
- Ticket valid until 31 December 2021
- The e-ticket gives access to an unguided tour of the monument
- Luggage and big items exceeding 55cm*35cm*20cm will not be accepted