Do this because
Visit the biggest Gothic palace in the world ranked as a UNESCO World Heritage site
Experience an immersive digital visit of the Palais des Papes with the HistoPad app
New ticket option includes access to the beautiful Palais des Papes gardens!
What to expect
Visit two must-see places in Avignon with this combined ticket including entrances to the Palais des Papes and the Pont d'Avignon.
Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Palais des Papes was built in the 14th century and consists of two buildings: the old palace of Benedict XII and the new palace of Clement VI. Thanks to the HistoPad provided at the beginning of the visit, dive into the Middle Ages and relive the daily life of the first popes of Avignon. During this virtual experience, you will be amazed by the immensity of this largest medieval fortress and the biggest Gothic palace in the world! The 15,000 square meters of living space are the equivalent of 4 Gothic cathedrals. At the end of the visit, climb up to the terraces of the Palais des Papes. They offer a superb view over the main courtyard of the palace but also over the city of Avignon and the Rhône!
Continue your visit on the Saint-Bénezet bridge, otherwise known as the Pont d'Avignon, built-in the 12th century it initially boasted 22 arches but is now down to 4, having been frequently damaged by wars and floods over the centuries. A seemingly never-ending renovation period ensued until the 17th century. The audio-guide will allow you to learn much more about this legendary monument's fascinating history!
From June 27th to November 30th 2022, the Palais des Papes presents the exhibition Amazônia by the famous Franco-Brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado: more than 200 photographs, accompanied by projections. An immersion in the exuberant vegetation of the Amazonian forest and the daily life of its local populations, paced by a sound creation specially composed by Jean-Michel Jarre and inspired by the concrete sounds of the forest.
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
Visitor numbers are limited to reduce crowds
The experience complies with government regulations
Social distancing is enforced
Areas frequented by visitors are regularly disinfected
Hand sanitizers are provided for staff and visitors
All gear/equipment is sanitised between use
Visitors are required to bring and wear masks
Guides and all other staff are required to wear masks
Visitors over 18 must show their ID and proof of one of the following: a full vaccination or first vaccination (this requirement varies depending on the country) received at least 15 days prior, recovery from a COVID-19 infection in the past 6 months, or a negative result from a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 48 hours before the experience starts. This may also apply to those aged 12 and above
Entrance to the Palais des Papes on the selected time slot in the calendar
HistoPad available in 7 languages
Access to the Pont d'Avignon
Multimedia audio-guide available in 12 languages (Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Korean)
- Palais des Papes, Place du Palais, 84000, Avignon
- Pont d'Avignon, 2 rue Ferruce, 84000, Avignon
Please present your barcode ticket at the entrance of the Palais des Papes.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 48 hours before the activity begins.
Important to know
- The combined ticket is valid until the following evening with only one entry per site
- Please arrive to the Palais des Papes 15 minutes before the booked timeslot
- The Pont d'Avignon can be visited whenever you like for 24 hours after the barcode ticket has been scanned at the Palais des Papes
PALAIS DES PAPES:
- The following rooms are closed to visitors: the lower treasury, the kitchen, the cameraman's room, and the terrace
- Due to a large number of steps, the visit is not accessible to people with reduced mobility
- Animals are not allowed
- The site is completely accessible to disabled visitors
- Specific commentary for the visually-impaired and additional tactile devices are available
- It is recommended to come with your own headphones or earphones
- Animals can accompany you but they must be kept on a leash